Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In the beginning...

Today marks the start of my journey toward "The 3-Day," a 60-mile walk benefiting Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The event will be held rain or shine July 31-August 2, 2009 in my latest hometown... Cleveland, Ohio! I am starting this blog to track my training and update friends and family on my progress. Another blogger moved me with her account of last year's 3-Day, and I hope my latest endeavor will inspire others to get involved in the fight against breast cancer.

I first learned of The 3-Day a few years ago while flipping through a book about breast cancer at my aunt's house. After my college graduation and subsequent move to Cleveland, I found myself thinking more seriously about getting involved as a volunteer or walker but was unsure when I would get around to it. Well, I'm finally lacing up my sneakers because there's no time like the present!

When I told a co-worker about my lofty goals, she asked what motivates me to walk and to raise the $2,300 individual fundraising requirement. The reasons are simple:

1. To remember my grandmother, a gentle woman with a heart of gold... And to honor my aunt, whose picture belongs next to the word "courage" in the dictionary.

2. Because battling sore feet and summer heat for 60 miles over 3 days is nothing compared to the battles fought everyday by men and women with breast cancer. I intend to cross the finish line a stronger person with a greater respect for the sacrifices of others.

3. For mothers, daughters, sisters and friends past, present and future. Whether a sufferer, survivor or supporter, breast cancer impacts all of us.

Please go to http://www.the3day.org to learn more about my upcoming adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Emily, When I read your first blog, it brought tears to my eyes. This is such a superb goal and cause for you to pursue. I wish you both perseverance and fun! I'm proud of you. See you this weekend. Love, Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very honored and proud of your endeavor, Emily. I speak for fellow survivors when I say that the support of a cure for this insidious and cruel disease is such a worthy and necessary cause. We will all be touched by breast cancer at some time in our lives, either personally or through a loved one, co-worker, acquaintance or friend. Until a cure is found, be sure to get a mammogram, ladies!! Those not-so-fun digital images can be life savers. Love, Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete