Monday, February 23, 2009

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. -Chinese proverb

My "Get Started Meeting" was held at the Beachwood Library on Saturday morning. (Yes, Mom, I woke up before noon on the weekend.) I expected to meet a few women, hear some personal stories and register for the event. It was so much more than that, and I think it made me realize that The 3-Day is so much more than a 60-mile walk.

The "Get Started Meeting" was 2 hours of idea sharing and pure inspiration. There were 3 cancer survivors, about 20 first-time walkers and even 1 man in attendance! Two past walkers/organizers were there to share their experiences and lead us throusgh a slide show of pictures and background information. The first slide read "Imagine a world without breast cancer."

I'll give you a minute to imagine it...

The slide show went on to answer all the questions I had in mind and even some that I didn't know I should ask (like, how/where do we shower?). Both representatives are self-described "3-Day Junkies," and their enthusiasm was infectious. Having already tackled first-time jitters, fundraising challenges and the walk itself, they were able to address our concerns and encourage us all to go above and beyond.

We watched an inspirational DVD, and I swear there wasn't a dry eye in the room. It was really amazing to see how much The 3-Day has changed the lives of men and women around the country. Watching the video, I was able to see what a huge undertaking this is for event coordinators...

Thousands of walkers have to hydrate, eat, sleep, shower and walk. Hundreds of crew members have to be trained and transported between pit stops, cheering stations and the campground. Even more survivors and co-survivors attend the opening and closing ceremonies. And the preparation for all of this is unbelievable - from neighborhood training walks to New Balance "sole mate" and "nutrition & hydration" clinics, this event requires time, effort and donations from individuals and corporations alike.

The kindness of strangers also seems to be an integral and overwhelming part of the event, and the meeting leader said something that has stayed with me - "The 3-Day is 3 days of what the world could be."

Please visit my personal page on The 3-Day website to donate. I took the liberty of donating $10 to my own cause in addition to the $90 registration fee today, and I hope you will help me raise the remaining $2,290 over the next 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment