Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hey, I put some new shoes on and suddenly everything is right...

This morning, I went to a "Sole Mate" clinic hosted by the La Place New Balance store. 4 New Balance employees came in an hour before the store's regular opening time to meet with 3-Day participants. 9 other first-time walkers came but, for once in my life, I was the first one there!

The program was headed up by a marathon runner/shoe expert who asks us to think of him as a "pharmacist for feet." I, of course, loved this analogy so much that I can't even remember the name of his profession (something pod-based I'm sure). He talked for a good 45 minutes about anatomy, common foot complaints/concerns, sock selection and shoe fittings. He answered some questions about blister prevention and treatment then gave us each a pamphlet entitled "The Foot Owner's Manual." Cute, right?

Anyway, the foot pharmacist told me I was a "healthy footed pronator" based on my Harris-Beath mat footprint. "Healthy footed pronator" sounds kind of like a dinosaur species to me, but I guess it just means that I roll inward when I walk. According to
http://www.nbannapolis.com/, pronation is "An inward tilt rotation of the hind and midfoot (valgus) when weight bearing, a lifting of the outside border of the midfoot (eversion), and an outward swing of the forefoot (abduction). Pronation is generally observed in the pes planus (low arched) foot." Who knew?!

Betsy, my new favorite New Balance employee, took some additional measurements and selected several walking and running shoes made especially for pronators like me. I tried on different sizes, styles and colors, and eventually I found my sole mate...

Not only are they adorable, but they are oh-so-functional! I usually have trouble fitting into New Balance sneakers, either because my big toe rubs the front or the ankle support is too high (I feel like the princess with her pea.), but I ended up finding a sturdy yet comfortable pair today.

I also left with a clearance-priced track jacket, some free pink shoelaces and a stick of Body Glide, which I hear is a lifesaver on these walks... (I wish Coach Dalton would have told me about this stuff back in high school!)

I was feeling motivated to continue shopping, so I headed over to Dick's in Legacy Village for some compression shorts and a sleeping bag. I also bought an emergency poncho, more because I am a sucker for the stuff on display by the register rather than actual concern for rain.

I am still having trouble finding a waist pack and a travel pillow. I found an inflatable pillow online at some military supply store, but the shipping was going to cost me more than the item itself, so I cancelled that idea. Let me know if you know of any good, cheap camping stores in the Cleveland area. If I can't find a suitable waist pack by July, I'll be borrowing my mom's throwback fanny pack for the walk... And, trust me, no one wants to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment