Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Never for money. Always for love.

I cannot believe that The 3-Day is just 1 work day away! Ahhh... The anticipation is intense!

I spent last week in Chicago and have been busy Busy BUSY this week working, walking, sleeping and packing. Somehow "they" expect me to fit a weekend's worth of clothes, sneakers, hats/visors, sleeping bag, pillow and hygiene products in a single 35-pound bookbag. It's a good thing my mom bought me so many random travel bags when I went to Europe last time. Otherwise, it would have been tough to find a backpack big enough to handle everything. My lumbar pack is ready and raring to go, but I'm definitely having trouble with the overall packing experience. It makes me miss/appreciate my mom and her masterful packing skills. What can I say, I am my father's daughter ;)

Anyway, I've pretty much bought out the entire foot care aisles at Wal-Mart, Target and CVS. After I killed my feet walking my longest recommended training walk (18 miles) in Stone Harbor a few weeks ago, I now appreciate this aisle much more. Blister band-aids, ankle wraps, heating pads, moleskin, corn removers, heel balm... you name it, I've got it. I'm like a walking first-aid kit for walkers. Now I just have to narrow down the gym clothes I'm going to wear, how many pairs of socks I'm going to take and how I'm going to survive walking 21.6 miles on Friday... Did I mention that we start at 5:30 that morning?!

My mom and Gina are coming in on Friday and will be meeting me at the various cheering sections along the route. They'll be staying at my apartment for the weekend while I'm sleeping under the stars in a pink tent. I cannot wait until Sunday when I get to see them at the closing ceremony. I am a lucky, lucky girl to have such positive women in my life. I will be thinking of my Aunt Gina, Grandma Pauline and the Barbaras every step of the way... And, of course, my donors.

I cannot thank you all enough for your monetary support and continued e-mails, phone calls and desk stop-bys. It has been truly gratifying and humbling to be given this opportunity. This is something that I have worked for and walked for since last winter, but I would not be getting ready to take those first steps if it weren't for all of you. Thank you, thank you, thank you... for your generosity, for your love, for your encouragement, for your companionship on my walks and for your willingness to support a cause that affects us all.

I have met some amazing people along the way at training walks, outfitter clinics and fundraising events, and I think the final days of this journey will introduce me to even more powerful and inspiring men and women. Here's to the survivors, the co-survivors and the ones we've loved and lost. Here's to The 3-Day and a weekend I will never forget.

Final tally: $2,355.00
Thank YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment